If you think about it, what is lettuce if not nature’s pancakes? You’ll be trading in the leafy vegetable for pancakes in this hoisin turkey recipe, so really do try and think about that.
The recipe has been created by Joe Wicks for Gousto as part of his new range of Lean In 15 recipes. The series of fast, healthy meals is split into high-carb and low-carb, and this is one of the low-carb options best saved for days when you’re not particularly active and don’t need to refuel.
“Think duck pancakes, but we’re making them super-lean!” says Wicks. “You’ll fill lettuce cups with turkey mince, pan-fried in sweet hoisin sauce. Add fresh cucumber, spring onion and carrot to serve.”
Ingredients (Serves Two)
- 1 garlic clove
- 15g fresh root ginger
- 1 spring onion
- ½ cucumber
- 2 little gem lettuces
- 2 carrots
- 40g hoisin sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp rice vinegar
- 250g turkey breast mince
- Grate the carrot. Peel and finely chop (or grate) the ginger. Peel and finely chop (or grate) the garlic.
- Slice the cucumber into discs. Slice each individual cucumber disc into matchsticks. Trim and finely slice the spring onion.
- Remove 12 leaves from the little gem lettuces and set aside. Shred the inner cores.
- Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) over a medium-high heat with 1tbsp vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the turkey mince with a pinch of salt and cook for three to four minutes, or until starting to brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go.
- Once the turkey has browned, add the chopped garlic, ginger and grated carrot and cook for a further one to two minutes or until fragrant and cooked through.
- Add the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and soy sauce to the pan and give everything a good mix up.
- Remove from the heat and add the shredded little gem lettuce, cucumber matchsticks and sliced spring onion to the hoisin turkey mixture and stir it all together – this is your hoisin turkey filling.
- Load the little gem lettuce leaves with the hoisin turkey filling.